The Don's Throne

Monday, August 28, 2006

bride price: na bado am on it...

Yesterday, a friend asked me "dude, why are you so much against bride price, I want to understand why?", then I told him that he hadnt read my blog yet. I am not specifically against bride price, I am against exploitation of the youth, I am against buying of another human being, I am against parents taking kids to school (the girl child) and having it at the back of their heads that some dude one day will pay them back the money they spend on her education, I am against the old generation who had to go through the same by paying say, 10 cows for their wife, and saying that the daughter's suitor will pay him back the 10 cows in form of hard currency - this is mere exploitation.
I say this all the time, everyone who sits back and reason's with a clear mind will not be for this tradition. Our biggest problem right now as individuals is that if we discard this tradition, then no one will pay for 'our daughters' when we become old, and so its a loss of revenue - please!! thats so lame!! rise up and say no to such a tradition, even if its going to cause you 'losses' in future. Kenya, rise up from this stupidity, Africa, wake up from this slumber!!
It pains when a man saves some little cash in his bank account only for him to give it up to his father-in-law and start afresh. It pains evn more if this man now considers that he has a property called a wife. Its even more damn paining that the woman says she is truly married now, yet she is merely a property bought with cash!! Think, Think Think!!! thats all I ask of you, before you embrace this retrogressive tradition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home